Friday, May 1, 2009

Serenity

I saw Serenity again on DVD. It's a fun film, and if you're a science fiction fan who somehow missed the movie, it's worth watching. However, there's one scene which makes me want to reach back through time and smack the writer. That scene is the one where Book says to Mal, "I don't care what you believe, but you need to believe in something." 
Grrr!
That's about the most idiotic thing that it's possible to say. "I don't care what you believe." Okay, how about the Operative's belief that murder in the service of the state is acceptable? Or how about a belief that some ethnic group is subhuman and can should be enslaved or exterminated? How about if I believe it would be a good idea to choke you right now?
I can see Jayne saying it--and everyone else turning and giving him a "you idiot" look--but I can't see Book saying it.

2 comments:

Lux Mentis said...

I suspect you are seeing it more literally than it was meant.

I suspect Book would not really mean anything was acceptable - he probably said it in consideration of his audience, Mal. In doing so, I believe he was saying 'of the range of things you, given your nature and values, would find acceptable to believe in - believe in something.' This in contrast to being cynical to the point of never believing in anything or anyone.

I suspect that was the meaning (or at least how I contextualize it to make sense).

I'll probably always be disappointed to not know more about Shepherd Book's past.

Laserlight said...

That idea occurred to me. Book could have said "Mal, I know what you've always believe--now believe in it", or something to that effect. That would have worked. But that's not what he said, and what he said didn't work.