Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Giving the customer what he wants

In 2000 and 2001 I was selling translation and localization services to corporations like Sun Microsystems, TSYS, and DuPont. We'd take whatever text and images they gave us and analyze it--so many text strings, so many images, etc--then put it into whatever language they wanted, usually FIGS (French, Italian, German, Spanish) or CCJK (simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean).
On one occasion I bid $19,000 to do a job, and waited. Usually I got the contract from this company within a few days, but this time I didn't; so after a week, I called the purchasing agent and asked him about it. He said they'd gotten two other bids, at $23K and $24K. Since the other two bids were so much higher than ours, he said he was worried that we'd missed something about the project. So I said "You know, we've done this for you before and I'm sure we've got it right--but I tell you what. I can add another round of editing, that would be, um, 3500, so that would put our bid at 22,500. I don't think we'll need it, but in case we do, you're covered. Would that make you feel better?"
And he said, "Yes, it would", and he gave me the contract.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of your 'one plexiglas rod' story.