Sunday, December 20, 2009

Josh's 21st Birthday

Josh was still at university on his birthday, which was on December 16th (as usual), and this was his 21st, which makes it legal for him to drink alcohol. It's common for people to observe the day by getting drunk, and Josh decided to to that. However, not in common with a lot of people, he went about it with some thought--eating first, and staying at his place rather than going somewhere that required driving. "And I had water beforehand, and after each shot." "How many shots did you have?" "Er....lots?" Which I think translates to eight Jagermeisters. And once he observed "Okay, I'm really drunk", he switched to non-alcoholic drinks for the rest of the night. Which lasted till 5am. And then Diana arrived at 10am to bring him back from college. He was fairly subdued sounding when I called him then but he said he didn't have a hangover, just lack of sleep from exams plus more sleep deprivation from the party.

1 comment:

Lux Mentis said...

My first experience of this nature was with Scotch. I believe I was nearing 18, which would have been the legal age in the province I was in at the time.

I moved back here to Ontario and it was 19 so I went from being able to have a drink to not being able to... odd.... and visiting NY I realized I was also not allowed one as theirs was 21.... yet my militia unit always said 'old enough to wear the uniform, old enough to drink' (unofficially). And you could wear the uniform and get killed at 17.

Anyway, that first night ended with one of the worst hangovers I've ever had. Only time I've ever had the room spins or thought 'what is that horrendously loud noise?' followed by 'oh, it is my breathing....'.

I couldn't touch Scotch for seven years afterwards.

The Good Lord has seen fit to gift me with terrible hangovers and this helps to assure that I overdue it about once every five to ten years at most.

Alcohol is good for your heart in moderation (blood thinner). Just don't ever let it start to dictate behaviour, because that can make one singularly obnoxious and unpopular. Not everyone handles their drinks as well as they ought. Some ought just not to drink period.