Sunday, June 26, 2011

Miscommunication

When Josh first met Gwen, he asked what she was reading, and they got to talking about science fiction books. She said her favorite was a classic, Jyoon.
And Josh thought, but didn't say: "Jyoon? Not ringing any kind of bell. Jewen? Juen? June? Nothing. What the hell is Jyoon? I am a Big Time Science Fiction Nerd. If it was a classic, I'd have heard of it. And I've never heard of a book called Jyoon. She must think I'm a poser who's just chatting her up. Is this some obscure Australian author? Is this...oh."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was a close call. I was thinking "Oh, sure, this Yank [sorry] talks the talk, but he's never heard of Dune...who hasn't heard of Dune?...can't be on the level..."

Laserlight said...

He knew you must be thinking that, and that's part of what was bothering him; the other part was just "I am a boss at SF, how can I not be recognizing a classic?"