Monday, January 2, 2012

Crafts and Works

Today was mostly getting projects done around the house. Pulling the door off the deck storage closet, repairing it and reinstalling. Packing up the Christmas decorations and putting them in storage. Adding a bit of insulation in the attic.

One of the things I've had in mind for a while is to make decorative stuff (or semi-decorative--dice tower, for instance) from acrylic. So I got the jigsaw out, put in a fine tooth blade and started cutting a 2.5mm thick sheet, which was fairly fragile. Need to be careful to keep the sheet from vibrating, and advance the saw steadily, and don't try to cut sharp (30°) angles. Broke some pieces, but that's okay as all I was doing was getting the feel for it, not trying to create a work of art. 6mm sheet should be a lot easier to work with. I also experimented with flame polishing the edges, although I need to get a small propane torch do a good job of that.

No comments: