Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Last Airbender

This is one of the rare movies where the film is better than the previews make it look. That's not to say that it's a fantastic epic; it's constrained by trying to follow the source material, and it looks like it was intended to lead into a TV series rather than be a stand alone film. (I know that there is a series; I don't know which came first). But within those constraints, it's not bad. The magic effects were generally well done; the earth bending might have used a little more imagination, but the other elements were handled well. I liked the fight scene with Aang and the Blue Spirit. I liked the fact that there was friction within the Fire Nation; I'd have liked to see more of that within and between the other nations. I'd probably see the sequel.

4 comments:

McBugBear said...

I believe the TV series came before the movie. I certainly liked the kid who played Aang (Noah Ringer). I believe he was in Cowboys and Aliens as well.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dad: previous statements of affection should be edited to read "I hate you forever"

Chris DeBoe said...

Josh, I take it your opinion of the movie differs to some extent?

Anonymous said...

Last Airbender cartoonie was, and still is, the shizz.

Coolest thing in the movie was the kids hair.


-S