Thursday, February 16, 2012

Wild Wild West

I have to admit I had fun at this, although "admit" may be the key word here. It certainly wasn't a great movie. The chemistry between West and Gordon didn't work well--I think because we're used to Will Smith playing smart characters, and in this movie he was the action type while Gordon was the genius. Selma Hayek was there purely for eye candy; her character didn't really have anything to do other than stand around in a corset. Same thing with Bai Ling / Miss East. It looked like the story was setting her up to be an important character, and then it just fizzled. I'd like to have seen more of her, but after the fight in the plantation, she just stood around next to Loveless, doing nothing. The final fight scene was badly written; instead of taking on previously-established bad guys, West takes on a bunch of minions we've never seen before. On a 1 to 10 scale, it can't rate more than a three.
But nonetheless, I had fun.

No comments: