Saturday, March 14, 2009

Now Reading

It's been busy the last few days, what with getting the material together for the garden boxes, doing home repairs, and dealing with finances. This afternoon we bought supplies--dried and canned food, batteries, flour, powdered milk--and added it to what was already in the storage closet. We've been maintaining stocks for a while, in case of hurricanes or terrorist attacks or whatever else might happen; I hadn't expected Congress to launch an attack on our economy, but I guess that counts as part of "whatever else". I recently read a comment on someone's blog to the effect of "if our government leaders knew they'd be hanged on Jan 1, 2010, if the Dow wasn't above 10,000, they'd become tax-cutting, pro-business libertarians overnight."

Speaking of which, I ran across For a New Liberty: The Libertarian Manifesto in a used book store. I've just barely started reading it; based on the comments at Amazon, it looks like a winner.

I've also been reading The Moon Goddess and the Son, which weaves a girl who loves the Moon, an engineer and his son, plus the Mongol influence on Russian law, a mathematician, the space race, a gamer designer, the Cold War, Middle Eastern antiquities, and other threads to form a dense, complicated, highly enjoyable novel. I have to re-read a Donald Kingsbury book to find out what I missed the first time; and they're good enough that I'm ready to start re-reading them the minute I finish them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Empty soft drink cans can be added to the soil mix for your garden boxes to increase volume without adding much mass. Also, the amount of necessary soil or compost is reduced, saving money and labor. This method is being used on rooftop gardens in Port Au Prince and similar urban areas around the world.