Saturday, March 7, 2009

Update

Josh is home for spring break. He came in, expressed mild surprise and dismay about my having shaved--"I think I can see the seam of your human mask"--and then headed upstairs to install Dawn of War and start conquering the universe for the glory of the Emperor.

After days of cold rain followed by a freeze and a dusting of snow, we've now gotten some decent weather for a few days. The last frost of the year is usually in early April, so I'm not expecting this weather to last; but while it does, it's pleasant to be able to lounge on the deck and enjoy the afternoon sun while wearing a polo shirt rather than a parka.

And with warm weather, people think about gardening. That is, some people do; normally I'm not one of them. And when I do get an urge, once every few years, to commit premeditated horticulture, I generally sacrifice a Boston fern and that is more than sufficient. This year, however, the economic climate is also a factor, and I'm finding myself thinking about peat moss and compost and canning tomatoes. We're in a condo with about 50 square feet of deck usable, so we're hardly going to be self sufficient. But every little bit helps, and we'll be getting practice towards the time when we have more room.

4 comments:

Availeth said...

I've heard it said the first job of Man was to be a gardener. Maybe the second was taxonomy. Perhaps you should name your tomatoes.

Laserlight said...

Man's first job was and is to be a good husband.

I'm planning on naming my tomatoes things like "Marinara" and "Salsa".

Lux Mentis said...

Bruschetta.

If you are looking for good suggestions: Investigate what herbs will grow in your environment. You will find you can probably get a good herb garden growing on the decking. It will probably take less water than tomatos. Further, as a cost measure, herbs can be quite expensive - canned tomatos generally not so much. You may find having fresh herbs not only useful from a cooking perspective, but better for the bottom line.

And garlic is your friend.

Laserlight said...

I'm thinking about it more from the point of view of "feed the family in an emergency" rather than "feed them gourmet flavors". I am planning on having some herbs, though.