Monday, September 6, 2010

Names

Twenty-two years ago, we were discussing what to name this baby who was due. I suggested good, strong, historical names, like Anaxagoras or Subotai. Diana pointed out that these were not following my family's tradition of Bible names, so I suggested the name of one of the prophet Isaiah's sons, Mahershalalhashbaz. She turned that down too. However, I recently discovered that one of the actors in Benjamin Buttons is Mahershalalhasbaz Ali; I'm pleased that someone appreciated a great name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mahershalalhashbaz..., is a fabulous name.

Utterly Fabulous.
Alphabetically Fabulous.
Fantastically Fabulous.


-S

Anonymous said...

I always debated giving my (as yet unconceived) youngling a good middle name. The first name should always be something easily usable and hard to really mock too much I thought. Something like Robert or Scott or Thomas. Or Chris.

But the middle name (or names) could be something useful and perhaps inspirational.

Some examples I had thought of:

Xenophon (of the Anabasis fame)
Bruce (after The Bruce)
Alexander (after Alexander Hamilton)
Aragorn (yeah, I like that name, sue me) (I'd have to change mine to Arathorn to make it fit)
Constantine (of Roman fame)
Archimides (a very smart Syracusan)
Horatio (before carrot-top from CSI, for the fellow at the bridge or Lord Nelson)
Cochrane (after the great Scots Captain/Admiral/Parliamentarian)
Paine (after Thomas Paine)
Henry (after Henry Ford)
Oberon (after the patriarch in the Amber series - I just love the name)
Thor (the guy with the hammer who hated big snakes and jotuns)
Miyamoto (after the original Kensai)
Toshiro (after Toshiro Mifune, another legendary hero)
Wallace (after William)
Socrates (referent not required)
Franklin (of ye North West Passage fame)
Glasgow (after David Glasgow Farragut)
Tiberius (ahem *Shatner* ahem)
Galbraith (John Kenneth)

There were probably others.