Sunday, December 13, 2009

Shotgun and tree

I took the shotgun to the range yesterday, for the first time in a while. One key point that I hadn't quite recalled is that it takes longer than I had expected to get it out of the case, loaded, and ready. If someone burst through the door and came charging straight upstairs, I doubt I'd have enough time, even if I were awake to start with. The solutions are either to keep it loaded without a round chambered--which doesn't particularly appeal to me--or to use something else--which also doesn't much appeal to me. I wouldn't object to leaving a pistol in the bedside drawer with the clip left unseated, but I'm not yet enthused about spending $500+ for one. Until then, I have several sharp pointy objects; as The Zombie Survival Guide points out, blades don't have to be reloaded. Perhaps I can find a pop-down laser auto-turret?
The other thing I hadn't remembered is the kick. My shoulder's not really sore, but I can feel it. I see why they don't recommend a 12 gauge for ladies.

The other excitement for the weekend was getting Stage 1 of Christmas Decorating done, which involves clearing away some of the normal decor, and putting up the tree that Josh and Diana picked out over Thanksgiving. Diana does most of this; I mostly help by making dinner and doing dishes and laundry and generally staying out of the way. Dinner was sausage-stuffed chicken breast, which turned out pretty successfully.

3 comments:

Lux Mentis said...

Shotgun: Consider looking for some 'tactical loads' (lower power, less powder) for your 12-ga.

SWAT uses them to avoid overpenetration, which .12 ga. misses can cause indoors. They'll still penetrate clothes and tissue of a target just fine. (Some SWAT now use 20 ga. instead)

$500?

See if you can get a refurb M1911. Should be less than $500 and (if you can legally buy a hollow-point or semi-hollow point) you ought to be able to put a huge hole through something.

Here, I *can't* store a gun loaded like that in the house. But I can store a loaded mag in one box and a pistol in the other. (Loaded = 5 round max mag cap).

A sword is good, but if he (or they) brings a gun, you want one. Hang a belt somewhere with your pistol, a spare mag, mini-mag light, and a knife. They you grab the belt and go.

Or invest in a big, obnoxious looking dog like a Rottweiler or German Shepherd.

Lux Mentis said...

Actually, if I could ever get one, I'd like a M1917 Remington Trench Gun (with bayonet lug and bayonet).

There's something intimidating about going to the door with a pump (the noise alone can be enough). Add a bayonet to that and you've got as much frightening as you can expect.

Laserlight said...

The good thing about a sword is it's fast to get, doesn't need to be loaded, won't go off by accident, and--with the layout of my house--is probably good enough for greeting unexpected visitors who come upstairs. Downstairs is more open; if there were zombie sounds from there and I were sufficiently motivated to investigate, a boom stick would be a necessity.

"I *can't* store a gun loaded like that in the house"
"Not allowed to" isn't the same as "can't".