Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Absurd beliefs

With a hat tip to Tyler Cowen at Marginal Revolution, what belief do you actually hold which intelligent people around you would consider absurd?

I believe that the spoken word can influence what events happen. For instance, I think it's more likely the die will turn up a 1 if, before rolling, I say "roll a one". I don't think it guarantees an outcome, just that it changes the probabilities. If I'm speaking of an undesired event, I don't say something like "in case I'm run over by a truck"; instead I say "in case I'm trampled by rabid wombats." The odds of a wombat stampede in Virginia Beach are low enough that I don't mind increasingly them slightly.
I have no suggestion on a means by which speaking of an event might make it more likely, and no proof that it does, but I still believe it.

Another example would be "the American Empire will begin to collapse by 2050."

What do you believe, that other people might think absurd?

(Feb 21, 2011 note: this is the most-viewed post on my blog, but only one comment...)

1 comment:

Lux Mentis said...

To your own item:

Neitzche would understand. It is a manifestation, however unconcious, of the will to power.

As to my own case, it would really be bingo or cherry-picking. Many of my intelligent friends find many of my views on life absurd.

One could be that the environmental issue is too big for me - I can't verify the points of view for either side, interpret (or even access) the data, and I have given up feeling bad about not being able to come to an undersanding about this. Is it a critical issue? Maybe. Is it one I can productively deploy my finite span on this world against? Definitely not. So I stopped worrying about it. I do try to conserve and reuse, but beyond that the jury is out and I don't intend to burn much brain power worrying about who is right. I suspect all are wrong in one degree or another and only time will tell.

Another good one is my absurd belief in personal responsibility. Not fault. But responsibility. No one can 'make' you angry - you choose to allow them to. No one can 'make' you sad - ditto. If you choose not to allow them to, then you remove that power from them and retain it for yourself where it should be.

You are responsible for things inside your hegemony - things about how you react, behave, think, feel, carry yourself and interact with others.

You are not responsible for things in other people's hegemony and thus should refrain from trying to take on such responsibility.

You should also discourage their attempts to usurp your own self-determination.

If more people understood this simple theory, the world would be a better place. We'd see to our own issues and behaviours and let others do the same (and require it). This would both stop attempts to dominate, direct or manipulate others and it would prevent the dodging of fundamental responsibility so prevalent these days in politics, business, and day to day life.