Monday, September 7, 2009

Another first

I'm over forty-six years old and, for the first time, someone offered me a joint.

It's been raining off and on today, and it was becoming increasingly "on" as I was driving home from getting groceries. When I saw a couple trudging down the sidewalk, I turned around and offered them a lift. In token of their gratitude, the fellow invited me to come in for a beer; when I declined, he matter-of-factly said that they had some weed and he'd be happy to share that.

I laughed and said no, but it amazed me that he'd make the offer to someone on the basis of four minutes' acquaintance.

2 comments:

MarmaladePam said...

I'm older than you are, and it was only last year that I smoked my first joint. My boyfriend couldn't wait to get me to try it. We sat in his little loft-studio apartment (a big old mansion subdivided into several rental units having mostly college students) with a real glass bong-pipe thing and he showed me how. Oh my gosh, it made me so silly my CHEEKS HURT from smiling. And I truly could NOT remember what I was talking about after the 6-or-7-word middle of a completely sensibly-begun sentence. I kept wondering aloud if somebody would smell the marijuana and call the police, and I imagined I heard them coming up the stairs every few minutes. He just laughed and laughed. Said my getting high was better than the stuff itself, for him. Just one of those things I thought I should try once before I die, prolly never do it again.

Lux Mentis said...

I suppose your riders were lucky you weren't a Narc. That would have been awkward.

I've known a number of those who partake of weed and some other substances. I've never been a fan of that, but I'm also strongly live and let live and they seemed to get something out of it. Weed is probably roughly as harmless as alcohol (though the 'smoking' aspect makes me wonder and there are practical law enforcement aspects where alcohol is easier to detect that pertain).

Still, if you don't hurt anyone else and you don't expect me to pay for your weed or your health care if you end up with lung cancer, I'm okay with it.

The War on Drugs has been about as successful as Prohibition. Costly, lives lost, prices driven up with profits in the hands of thugs, and increased crime to support habits. And not exactly a big success in reducing demand. One of Big Brother's less successful misadventures.