Sunday, September 13, 2009

This weekend's adventures

My shoulder is much improved, so I got the kayak out for the first time since June. High tide was at 4:30pm so I didn't see much wildlife--you usually see more in the early morning--but it was nice to get out on the water for an hour. I did see, in the middle of the river, an inch-long crab swimming just under the surface; and on my way back there was about ten seconds of wild splashing over by the bank. Maybe something pulled a seagull under? But gulls don't usually get to close to the banks, I didn't see any ducks around, and if something is big enough to grab a heron, then I should be taking a harpoon next time.

Old Dominion University had IndiaFest this afternoon, so I made the trek to Norfolk to see it. Lots of clothing and jewelry for sale, a program that kept the stage occupied with dancing and yoga, plus a couple of tables set up for the Nawab Restaurant and Rajput Indian Cuisine. I had goat (and goat bone) biryani (saffron rice with onions, tomatoes, and raisins) and gulab jamun (spherical donuts with a sugar syrup) ; I also brought home allo tiki chat (potato patties topped with chickpeas, tomato, onion, and mint).

2 comments:

Lux Mentis said...

I like a well-made, fresh galub jamun.

I'm not so fond of goat - I've eaten it from various Jamaican places in roti, but always found it less pleasing than beef. Of course, I'm not crazy about lamb either.

My favourite dishes on the indian side are chicken dansak, chicken tikki masala, alu gobi masala, chicken khorma and beef bhuna. Butter chicken is good, but often over-rated. Samosas are good in vegetarian or carnivore versions. And mango lhassi or Kingfisher to wash them all down.

And I like Bollywood movie music... Lord help me...

McBugBear said...

Nasty lhassi's are better, a mango lhassi with rum.

BTW if you're ever up our way there are a great many lakes to canoe and kayak on. There's nothing like a close encounter with a loon to make a canoe trip. When I say loon I'm talking about the bird and not about Tom.