Thursday, April 1, 2010

Birthday

Had my 47th birthday yesterday. Hat tip to Tom for pointing out that next year I'll be 30, in hexadecimal notation.
My co-workers know I play a tauren druid in Warcraft, so my gifts from them included "Tauren Trail Mix" (mixed nuts and dried cranberries) and "Druid Bars" (also known as Payday bars, which have no chocolate and are therefore about the only candy bar I can have). They also had carrot cake, and Diana brought another cake by at lunch, so I got my full supply of carbs for the day.
Several people asked me if I had plans for the evening. My answer was "Not that I know of....but my wife likes to surprise me." Joshua called from Australia to say hello, and helpfully suggested that we go wild, and possibly even mix a little regular coffee with the decaf that evening. Thanks, son. He also said that his girlfriend wanted to pass along her greets, so, "Happy birthday from Us." That "Us" took me aback...I just wasn't quite ready to hear that.
And at six o'clock, as I was finishing work, a man in a suit came to my office door and said, "Mr. DeBoe? I have something outside for you." So, wondering what it was--a huge batch of flowers? A firing squad?--I looked outside, and behold, there was a white stretch limo, with Diana inside, a bottle of wine, and Doobie Brothers hits playing on the sound system. Took me completely by surprise. We went to Vintage Tavern in Suffolk, where Diana had seared tuna on a warm arugula salad with roasted grapes; I had bourbon-molasses glazed baby back ribs; and dessert was Bailey’s ice cream. Then back to work to pick up my car, home again, and a quiet evening.

1 comment:

Lux Mentis said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday. You've been a friend good and true and I hope to enjoy many more years of your particular brand of insight, humour, and unique perspective.