Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Black Company, New Space Opera

The standard default gift for me is a book store gift card. The latest acquisitions from this source were The Chronicles of the Black Company and The New Space Opera 2.
I got TNSO2 in hopes of finding new authors to follow; I didn't much care for the first entry, but there are 18 more stories to go. The ones by Scalzi and Resnick should be good, at least.
As for the Black Company...I was looking through the entries in the Hordes of the Thingsarmy lists again, and there they were: the armies of the Plain of Fear, the Lady, and the Limper. I'd read the first chapter of the first book back in college, but I'd read too much David Drake at the time and the feel was similar. Imagine Hammer's Slammers in a fantasy setting. The Black Company books are just as grim, but they're less gory, and show more imagination evident in the details.

2 comments:

McBugBear said...

The first three books of the Black company books are great but I didn't enjoy the books that came after The White Rose as much.

Lux Mentis said...

Unlike Derek, I have enjoyed the entirety of the series.

The later stories are of a different sort. I really found it fascinating the way that Glen moved the story forward and in the inspiration he drew from South East Asia and the Indian subcontinent. The Nyueng Bao were truly interesting to me.

I recommend the Chronicles, but remember that the later books will have a different feel.