Sunday, April 4, 2010

Under the Road

For today's expedition, I dragged the kayak across the marsh to the river, then went north to the point, east to Great Neck Road, under the road, and up to Wolf Snare, where I called Diana to bring the van and pick me up. This is the first time I've been under Great Neck Road; last time I tried it, the water wasn't deep enough, but this time I set off right at high tide.
No spectacular photos, but all the pines are getting ready to drop pollen, and the fiddler crabs make a noise like a rushing wind as you walk through the marsh.
The main thing for today was getting to a place I've never been before. I hadn't looked at the map before I left, so once I got to the east of the road, I looked at the channel heading southeast and thought "I have no idea where that goes." It gave me a new appreciation for early explorers.

1 comment:

Lux Mentis said...

Just remember that "Oh lordy... WATERFALL!" is what sometimes followed "I have no idea where that goes...".

I envy you the freedom of being on the water so often. There's a peace there I never seem to find on land.