Monday, July 12, 2010

July 11 and 12

Fly from Ayers Rock to Alice Springs, where we spend a couple of hours before catching the Ghan Train. Alice Springs is supposed to have some fun events--there's a dry river regatta, where people paddle with shovels or use boats with the bottoms out, Flintstones style--but there's nothing particularly interesting while we're there. I spend an hour at an Internet kiosk, of which approximately 42 minutes are spend muttering rude things under my breath; that keyboard was obsolete in 1985 and the browser...grrr.


I was expecting the train to have an open lounge where we could socialize, but in fact you spend most of your time in your 2-person compartment. We roll for hour after hour past hills, grassland and scrubland, without a building or light to be seen. Also without a kangaroo, dingo, or other wildlife to be seen; Josh and I conclude that we will have sharp words with the Australia Tourism Board about misrepresentating the existence of these mythical kangaroos. We pass over the Finke River, said to be the oldest in the world; the Painted Desert, which we didn't really see much of since it was night; Port Augusta, "where the Outback meets the sea". Still no kangaroos, but we do see sheep. I've heard from several people that the Ghan Train is a great experience, but I frankly would rather have flown to Adelaide (or Sydney or whereever). There are only so many hours of looking at barren landscape (particularly at night!) that one can appreciate.
We're about to arrive in Adelaide.

6 comments:

MarmaladePam said...

Well, I read this Ghan Train entry with great interest very late the other night and I tried to comment on it. I was groggy and struggling with the posting process and think I accidentally deleted the comment; either that, or you screened it first. I have discovered that I am somehow able to compose, cook, take out garbage and even talk on the phone while being ASLEEP. This is very alarming, and your Ghan Train story brought it into sharp relief (now). I was telling you how satisfying I think travelling by train can be: COVERING ground, going across terrain instead of flying and then strangely being hundreds of miles within 90 minutes. I was going to make you jealous of all the wildlife I'd seen out my own sleeper compartment between Salt Lake and Denver and was going to wish a kangaroo or two to come your way. But I ended with a sentence about the Painted Desert and some bronze DRAGONS flying overhead and wondered if you'd spied those? Yikes, I'm on my own "trip" over here. Wish I were on the Australia one with a lucid friend like you, lol.

MarmaladePam said...

P.S. - I have friends in Adelaide. Say hi to Marney and Troy if you cross paths, lol.

Anonymous said...

Chris' version of rude words would sound like a friendly greeting to most of the folks from Oz.... :0)

I had much the same experience 'whale watching' in Hawaii (Oahu). They gauranteed you'd see a whale. That meant you could keep coming back as many days as you wanted to try looking for one.

I asked how you'd know if you saw one. They said they break water and produce some foam or blow out and that produces a little bit of spray. I observed that with about 10 knot winds and whitecaps, there were lots of foamy things to make that hard to pick out. The crew member smiled as if to say "That's a fact, Mac!".

Still, I love being on the water and got great panoramic shots of Oahu and Diamond Head, so it was not a wash.

Sorry you aren't seeing much wildlife, but considering the Kangaroos response to vehicles (go to ground, engage with seeking weapons), that's probably for the best.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/nonsense/kangaroo.asp

This is what snopes said, although I heard a different versio from Zoe who was at ADFA around that time..

Anonymous said...

There are only so many hours of looking at barren landscape that one can appreciate.

I feel that way about Toronto.

Anonymous said...

I call 'bullshit' on that one. I suppose it depends on who you're with. If you are with someone like me who coud easily have a party in a Turkish prison than I'd have to say QQ.

Quit you're cyring. Virginian.
Sheesh.

No cookie.

Come home soon.

MarmaladePam said...

So... no new entry yet? Did a dingo getcha?