Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Price of Admiralty

Joshua was admiral for one side in a Close Action game today. One of the key points about Close Action is that normally both sides have several ships--three to thirty on a side--but each player only commands one ship. That means that in order to maneuver coherently, avoid collisions, and ultimately win, you have to work together as a team. Or, sometimes, you just have to be a disorganized mob but slightly less disorganized than the other mob.

Josh texted me a few times during the battle:
  • 1:32     Seriously, why can't I be a team on my own?
  • 3:07     I hate my captains SO MUCH
  • 6:08     I have sent eight signals. Six of them have been variations of "Engage more closely." They didn't.
  • 6:22     We won, 147 to 119. I don't know how.
I told him that now he knows how Suffren felt.

No comments: