Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Plumbing

As part of the Great "Getting Ready For Gwen" Cleaning And Remodeling Campaign, I foolishly agreed to change out the fixtures on the downstairs bathroom sink. In fact, I was going to do two bathrooms, but the shop only had one set of the fixtures in stock, and when I realized what I'd gotten myself into, I quickly advised them that they really didn't need to order another set on my behalf.
With trusty wrench in hand, I set off into the depths of the cabinet under the sink...no, this tale is just too epic to tell. Hacking through a stuck pipe (I used a hacksaw, so obviously I was hacking). Screwing part A into place as the manual instructed; realizing the manual really meant "put A into B, and then screw B into place" even though it never mentioned B; taking the whole thing apart. Realizing I'd get better results by looking at stuff and figuring it out on my own, rather than refer to the incompetently written installation guide. Laying on my back with a basin wrench and WD40 can. Solvent welding PVC pipe. Ah, good times. It did get done, though, functional, and no leaks at all.

1 comment:

Lux Mentis said...

That reminds me of my dad and I assembling a garage door (the sort with a big spring you have to torque and sections that fold up as it moves along the roof track or back down into place).

My conclusion the instructions were translated from French into Latin, possibly then into Mandarin, proceeding then to Sanskrit, perhaps Navajo, and then back to English.

There were useful instructions like

Drill a diameter hole.

Where?
Into What?
Of what diameter?


Eventually, like you, we threw aside the manual, laid out the parts, and used common sense to determine the assembly steps.

And it worked fine. I can't see how it would have if we'd kept following that execrable manual...