Saturday, April 16, 2011

Vorkosigan Companion

The Vorkosigan Companion was disappointing, although the fault is probably that my expectations were too high. It's about 650 pages, of which 110 is the good stuff: a couple of articles by Lois Bujold, an interview with her, interview with her editor. The other 540 pages is trivia, things like genealogies and pronunciation of names, and prefaces to the novels. The one which annoyed me was the article "What's The Worst Thing I Can Do To This Character?: Technology in the Vorkosiganverse". The question part of that is Lois' approach to writing; however the article doesn't cover the art of writing at all, it just discusses which tech appeared in which book, so I'd say the title was misleading. Other than that, no complaints about that kind of thing being in a Companion volume--that's what a companion volume is. I was just hoping for a little higher ratio of substance to fluff.

No comments: