Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Dogs and screens

We've had several conversations with Josh by Skype, and in some of them Josh has said "Hi Zoe!" However, The Mutt doesn't respond. She can certainly hear; drop a bit of bacon on the kitchen floor and she will rush downstairs. And it's not like she doesn't know who Josh is; if he were here, Zoe would be bouncing around and romping with him. So does she just not recognize voices? Do dogs need a smell-o-vision? Does Skype not carry the full frequency audio range, so it doesn't sound real to her? I think I detect the opportunity for a multimillion dollar research grant...

1 comment:

Lux Mentis said...

As a matter of contrast, when I phone my parents and am talking to one or other of them, the cat hears my voice through the phone and gets up in their faces meowing and purring. He doesn't do that when just anyone calls, just me.

And yet, he can sit there 6' away and pretend he isn't hearing me when the mood suits him.... though he's quite likely to greet me at the door and be quite affectionate when I first show up (sometimes, he must be awoken first, then the affection display begins).

Perhaps Zoe is put out with Josh at being so far away and not able to play with her?