Saturday, April 25, 2009

Kayaking

This morning I took the first kayak excursion for this year. The wind was blowing to the north, so I headed south, on the theory that I'd rather be paddling into the wind when I'm fresh rather than having to fight it while I'm trying to get home. I got to Virginia Beach Boulevard next to Colony Pines Drive,

View Larger Map
but there's a low culvert rather than a bridge, so that was as far as I could get. Slim silver fish, four inches long, jumping six feet away. Half a dozen mallards standing on a boat dock. Two Canada geese at the water's edge, one eating grass, the other just watching me. Red-winged blackbird piping in a bush. A sound like a wind rustling through the leaves turned out to be made by hundreds of fiddler crabs retreating from the water's edge as I floated by.

No comments: