Friday, April 24, 2009

Maintaining the Objective

"Maintenance of the Objective" is one of the principles of war; it means that you decide what you need to accomplish and then stick with it instead of getting sidetracked.
I was invited to take over a position in a naval game set in the Spanish Main, after the original player dropped out.  This game had eight players, each controlling a squadron of four ships. There were two players for each nationality, with English allied to Dutch, and French allied with Spanish. In this sort of game, the usual result is that the fleets go after each other and fight to the death. However, when I read the briefing material, I saw that the way the gamemaster would determine the winner was which faction had the most gold; and the way to accumulate gold was to transport goods from the Spanish Main to the island ports such as Port Royal. 
In the few turns after I took over, my Spanish squadron was to the west of the main action. I saw my allies were fully engaged with the scurvy Anglo-Dutch, and doing pretty well. 
My inclination was to swoop in and go for the kill--but that wasn't the objective. So....I disengaged and sailed west, potentially leaving my allies in the lurch. I captured one port, and thought about occupying another at the same time. In order to do that, I had to split my squadron, which meant that if an enemy had sailed over the horizon, I'd be in deep
 trouble--it would be his four ships facing only one or two of mine. On the other hand, I'd be making money twice as fast, and that was the point of the game. I decided to go for it. 
  My ship sailed in and took control of Cartagena...and the gamemaster announced, "The Spanish have taken control of the two most profitable ports on the map and have taken a commanding lead in revenue. The French are not allowed to dislodge their allies, and the Dutch and English squadrons are hors de combat. The Spanish win."
  And today the mail brought a prize, shown on the left in the photo: a 1/1200th scale ship of the line, painted and rigged. 

5 comments:

Lux Mentis said...

Excellent Work, Commodore!

Often times I've seen games devolve into actions unrelated to the main purpose.

When I played the Broadsword scenario at ECC a couple of years back, the Mercenaries could have challenged the Swordies and their Tanoose Freedom League allies *had they thought clearly about their critical objectives* and had they pursued that objective single-mindedly. But, they did not.

On the other hand, I recognized *my* objective and pursued it ruthlessly.

My AAR (sorry, no pics yet):

http://stargrunt.ca/scenarios_aar/aar_ECCXI_broadsword/aar_ECCXI_broadsword.htm

Nice ship model you have as prize!

Anonymous said...

Well played!

Norrington

Maturin said...

Hi Brigadier Don Juan de Lángara,

I am Jefe de Escuadra Don Esteban Maturin y Domanova,

Welome to the games by john. I of course did not know that my ally had changed. What turn did you take command?

Best Regards,
Maturin

Laserlight said...

I didn't keep all the emails-- perhaps somewhere around 12 - 15? I maneuvered against the enemy for about three turns before I headed west.

Unknown said...

Well-stated, Chris! Quite logical, and exactly the proper action from the leeward view of things! Sorry to hear the gamemaster had to find a replacement for a player; those things frost me in most instances. For myself, I was windward of most of the action, and thinking my faction still had ample time to convert cash I chose to not let snakes (i.e., the enemy) slither away with the possibility of biting my countryman.
Brain Strainer, a.k.a. Missiessy