Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rainy weekend

The Mutt gets temperamental when Diana is away, and one of the ways she expresses it is by chewing on the blinds; I presume she wants to be able to see Diana coming home. (When I'm gone, sometimes she deigns to come check to be sure I'm not a burglar before she goes back to sleep). There are more blind slats than we needed to cover the window, and a little examination showed that it's possible to take the blinds apart, remove the damaged pieces and replace them with the formerly-unneeded undamaged pieces. It was quicker and easier than taking out the whole blind and installing a new one would have been, and about $75 cheaper. However, it  took a willingness to examine the thing and figure out how to take it apart; I sometimes wonder what percentage of people actually do that, instead of just buying a new one.

Also got the Christmas tree up and the first round of lights strung. Next year we're getting a new tree stand, preferably with an intimidating steel spike suitable for keeping the tree in place. Of course, once you've got the tree sawed to length and the branched trimmed and the whole thing set in place, you have to go and scrape the sap and goo off your gloves or, in my case, hands.

The NaNoWriMo "Thank God It's Over" was last night. About twenty people there when I left. High scorer for our region was over 110K words; low scorer was 2 words, "Chapter One", but she was eight months pregnant and ended up having a C section on December 2nd. There wasn't really a lot of talk about what people had written, though.

2 comments:

Blair Ivey said...

One hundred ten thousand words in thirty days?! The daily average is about two weeks worth of blog posts for me. Isaac Asimov would be proud.

Curious that there wasn't much discussion of content. I would think that after that sort of effort people would be eager to talk about it.

Laserlight said...

Actually it was a 110K words in less than 30 days--I think she got there by Thanksgiving. Her average was around 4500 words per day. In my case, that would work out to about 3.5 hours of solid writing, without pauses for tea or telephone or thought. I wrote 5000 words, one Saturday.

Yeah, I had expected more discussion of content, and a lot more "let's get together January 5th and get started on the next thing". Didn't happen, at least while I was there.