Saturday, February 7, 2009

Close Action battle report

We fought the DeTernay vs Graves scenario at the Old Dominion Miniature Society's first con, the Williamsburg Muster. The Brits started upwind and on a broad reach with the wind coming over their starboard quarter; the French are closehauled with the wind on their port bow. I was admiral of the French. I intended to try to maintain a neat, linear battle rather than get into a melee. So much for good intentions.
The British position was perfect for attacking our van while the rest of our fleet crawled upwind to get into the action. Why they didn't try that, I don't know. They maintained course until they were parallel with us, at which point I decided to order the French fleet to wear and come around to the same course the Brits were on; if they didn't have the nerve to come to us, why, we would go to them. At the same time that I ordered the French to reverse course, the Brits turned in succession to attack our rear. That sounds a lot neater and more precise than their maneuver actually was, but it was adequate. Their lead ship passed just ahead of our first ship; our new line leader decided to pass through the British line, leading to two collisions. One Brit turned into the middle of the French fleet instead of following his squadron. Both fleets collapsed into two furballs, one around the lone Brit (who was quickly battered into submission) and the other a few hundred yards away where the two lines met. Both sides fought well, but the only ship to strike by game's end was that imprudent Brit, and that gave the French a convincing lead in victory points.
A fun game and one which vividly illustrated why you should stick with the rest of your squadron. As for the melee...I suspect that players read so much about Nelson that they think breaking the line is normal; and a melee seems to be inevitable once the line is broken. Next time I may try telling my captains "do not break the line unless ordered" and see how that works.

2 comments:

Lux Mentis said...

I think they may have read the part that says 'no Captain will find himself lacking for support for placing himself in closer proximity to the enemy' but they missed the rather key clause about doing this only if you did not have other directives and signals and had no clear orders.

Nelson was basically saying 'If you get out of command, choose attack' and many people take it to mean 'ignore command and attack'. I doubt Nelson would have appreciated that attitude.

Stay with your squadrons and implement the Admiral's battle plan. The enemy will do enough to the plan without the allied subordinates inventing their own orders.

I played a Crimean War scenario with Austrians against Prussians (I think) and subordinate commanders frequently did things that drove me to drink - some because they had different situational awareness than I did and some because they were playing in character of the GM was adding 'friction'. I actually challenged one to a duel in a fit of pique, before I calmed down.

Sounds like a fun game.

Laserlight said...

I suspect that quote meant "you're covered, legally, if you close on the enemy." After receiving a devastating stern rake including two "leadership casualties" critical hits, I doubt the captain was worried about his legal standing, or anything else.