Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Fireproof

Several people recommended Fireproof to us, and Diana wanted to go, so we went. I enjoyed it more than I expected to; I didn't expect to enjoy it at all, though. Kirk Cameron did a good job playing the main character. The "saving the marriage" plot was handled fairly well; it was refreshing that neither husband nor wife decided to sleep with other people before deciding they really wanted to stay married. The "becoming a Christian" subplot felt forced, in that the character didn't have sufficient motivation to make that change; however, I've seen ideology hammered just as hard, and less justifiably, in secular shows (I'm thinking of a Star Trek episode in which they stood around for an hour, not taking the simple and obvious solution, so they could have some angst and then conclude "War is Bad" or something equally profound). The main thing that bothered me, actually, is that husband's parents never thought of talking to the wife.
Overall, a 4 out of 10. If the preaching had been less in-your-face, it could have been a 7.

No comments: