Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

For those of us in the US, today is Thanksgiving. Mostly this involves cooking the feast, setting and decorating the table, cleaning the house, having guests over, cleaning up afterwards, watching the football game and planning the next day's shopping for Christmas presents; but sometimes we might take a moment to think about what we're thankful for.
"Family" is usually the first, reflexive answer. But I know people who would say "I don't have family, I have relatives; and what I'm thankful for is that they're on the other side of the country and don't have my address or phone number." I don't see my brothers and sisters as often as I would like, but it's comforting to know that they're there.
"Health" is another one, although I'd be even more thankful if my joints, back, digestion, waistline, etc, were in the shape they were in when I was 20 years old rather than what I've got a quarter century later. But I don't have arthritis or dementia or lupus or diabetes; I can see, hear and talk; I can pick up the groceries and walk the dog without being in pain with every step.
"Friends" has always been what I'm most thankful for. I am blessed to have friends who are intelligent, decent, compassionate, thoughtful, clever, honest folks--people like Tom Barclay, Barbra Barbour, Adrian Johnson, Zoe Brain, Allan Goodall, Tara Perrone, Mark Greco, Sean Murphy, Mike Kowalski. Friends who are cheerful and courageous despite some tough situations. Friends who are, unfortunately, scattered across three continents, who I don't see often enough. Friends for whom I am, always, thankful.

2 comments:

Lux Mentis said...

I'm honoured to appear on such a list, both for the sentiments and for the sort of people with whom such an inclusion would assocaite me.

I've had a bit of a lousy year, but at the same time, I recognize the myriad of things that I have to be thankful for. Foremost among my blessings is having my family still around and having so many absolutely wonderful people as friends.

Chris, you are a wonderful fellow and my life would be measurably less amazing without your presence in it, even though (as you observe) we don't get to meet in the flesh as often as one would wish.

Be safe, hope Thanksgiving went well, give all my best to your better half, and remember that one of the measures of a man's life is the people that call him friend. :)

(That's for good or for ill... in my case, you might want to not think about that too much... *grin*)

Zoe Brain said...

What he said.

Your friends are thankful they live on the same planet, and at the same time, that you do. Just thought you should know that.

Hugs, Zoe