Monday, November 24, 2008

Guns

I'd originally thought about getting a Glock 19, so I went to A&P Arms on Lynnhaven to try one. I studied the range safety sheet and got my card for passing it, then looked around a bit. They have quite a few implements for making holes in things--including a Barrett 50 cal rifle available for a mere $8500, just the thing if you expect to hunt irritable posleen, lightly armored vehicles, or rabid elephants.
The 19 turns out to be a little small for my hand, but a 17 fits about right. So, for $36, I rented one, bought a box of ammo and a target, and went to Bay 2 Lane 8. The first thing you notice is the pistol isn't all that heavy--only two pounds unloaded. The second thing you notice, immediately after opening the door to the range, is that they're loud, even with ear protection on. The third thing is that they take a little figuring out, but only a little. The button to drop the clip is just above your thumb. The clip only goes in one way, and a few seconds of looking at it is enough to figure out how to put cartridges in--although that takes a bit of effort, especially with cold fingers, and the last few rounds take a fair amount of pushing. In future, with a fifteen-capacity clip, I'll probably stop at ten rounds. Another button brings the slide forward and chambers a round. After that it's just point, pull, BANG, and wonder where the bullet hit.
I missed the target low on the first couple of rounds, but once I figured out how much to compensate, I got the rest in the black. The slide locks back when you're empty, so no need to wonder "Was that fourteen rounds, or fifteen?", just drop the magazine, reload, and do it again. When you're done, reel the target in, pick up the brass, and turn the weapon in.
I had a good time. I don't know that I'd want to make it a once-a-week event, particularly with the obligatory weapon cleaning afterward, but as a--pardon me--one shot event, I enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Lux Mentis said...

I still prefer the 1911 in .45 ACP. 9mm has issues with overpenetration if you ever have to fire it indoors. It also has this issue when it hits something fleshy (unless you are allowed hollowpoints or glasers, but that's not legal up in these parts). I also found the heavier 1911 manages recoil better.

Now, in honesty, I never fired a Glock and always wanted to try the Glock 30. But the CZ-75 (M9 knock-off) I fired, I was not fond of. I prefered revolvers or the M1911 to that one. Even the S&W .380 was a lot nicer to shoot.

Anyway, I think at least if you buy a product of Gaston Glock's production lines, you should have a well-designed, well-produced pistol that should be servicable. Better than some fly-by-night .38 special zipgun...

Laserlight said...

There are situations where over-penetration is a good thing.

The polymer Glock is light and I'd expect the muzzle will climb if I'm on rapid fire, but I can't tell that at the range because their rule is five seconds between shots. I'll go back some time and try a steel weapon and see how that feels.